据统计,美国人找工作有80%都是通过熟人介绍然后面试找到的。
美国职场中的“关系”和中国职场中的“关系”又有什么不同呢?
美国人如何建立自己的“关系网”呢?
我们一起来听Adam聊一下吧!
了解更多文本请关注微信公众号:老外私塾
What’s “关系” in American society?
美国社会中的“关系”是什么?
Network or Networking:建立联系网
- building a connection:建立连接
- creating a relationship:创造关系
- Networking isn’t about getting something from someone.
- Networking不仅仅是关于从某人那里得到一些东西。
- It's about finding someone who you can help just as much as they can help you.
- 是关于找到某人尽可能帮助他们,这样他们也会尽可能帮助你。
What’s the purpose of networking?
Networking的目的是什么?
- Get a job:得到一个工作
- Shift a career:转变职业规划
- To do some business:做一些生意
Start from who you know
从你认识的人开始
introduce:介绍
goal:目标
passion:激情
- Friends, family, professors, coworkers, classmates, and acquaintances.
- 朋友,家人,教授,同事,同学和熟人。
- Share your goals and your passions.
- 分享你的目标和你的激情所在。
- They might know someone that works in the company you are interested in.
- 他们可能会知道某人在你感兴趣的公司工作。
- They might introduce you to that person.
- 他们可能会介绍你认识那个人
- Use the connections you have to make more connections that hopefully can lead to some opportunities and interviews.
- 用你有的连接创建更多的连接,然后希望可以给你一些机会和面试。
Will you get the job if you have an interview?
有了面试一定会得到工作吗?
submit:提交
apply:申请(动词)
application:申请(名词)
resume:简历
ability:能力
qualify:胜任
interview:面试
position: 职位
- You might get the opportunity to have an interview, but not to get a job directly.
- 你可能会得到一个面试机会,但是不是直接得到一个工作。
- By the time you get to the interview, it’s up to you to show the abilities and personalities that they are looking for the job.
- 当你得到面试机会的时候,就取决于你来展示你的能力和个性了。
- You need to be qualified for this position.
- 你必须要胜任这个职位。
Start from strangers
从陌生人开始
Informational interview
信息面试
informal:非正式的
- an informal conversation with someone working in an area that interests you who will give you information and advice.
- 与你感兴趣工作的领域里的某人有一个非正式的对话,他们会给你一些信息和建议。
- You’re not applying for the job, you are just learning.
- 你并不是在申请这个工作,你只是在学习。
How to ask for an Informational Interview
如何开始一个“信息面试”?
Identify the Information You Want:确认你想要的信息
- Start by making a list of companies you’d love to work at and of job titles or positions you’d be interested in. 列一个单子关于你想做的工作或者你感兴趣的职位。
Make a List of People You Know:列一个你认识的人的列表
- Send them emails. 给他们发邮件
Make the Appointment:预约一个面谈
Select questions that will give you the most information:选择给你最多信息的问题
Dress and act the role of the position you are seeking:打扮和表现出你象是你寻找的那个职位的人
Show Interest, passion, ambitious, confidence:表现出兴趣,激情,野心和自信。
Be Prepared to Answer Questions About What you're Looking For:准备好回答你之后的打算和计划
Send Thank-You and Follow-Up Letters:发邮件感谢他们和进度追踪邮件。
What is a networking event?
“Networking”活动是什么?
informal:非正式
chat:闲聊
- A school or some professional organization, they will host a networking event.
- 学校或者一些专业机构会组织networking活动。
- They will invite people in a certain field, some employers, some bosses from different companies.
- 他们会邀请来自特定领域的人们,一些雇主,一些从不同公司来的老板。
Tips for networking event
“Networking”活动中的小窍门
Smile and Act Confident:微笑和保持自信
- A good impression is important. 一个好的印象是重要的。
Ask Questions:问问题
- Showing interest in others will promote others to take interest in you. 对他人表示感兴趣也会提高他人对你的兴趣度。
Don’t Forget Your Business Cards:不要忘记你的名片
Follow Up:跟踪进度
- Within two days of the event, send a quick email or LinkedIn request to everyone you’ve met to let them know how nice it was to meet them. 活动两天后可以给所有你认识的人发一个短的邮件或者LinkedIn请求,告诉他们你很开心认识他们。
Keep In Touch:保持联系
- You switched jobs:你换了工作
- You have an entire office of old co-workers:你有了老同事的整个办公室
- Keep updating and send them emails. 保持动态的更新并给他们发邮件。